Asemanpuisto - Railway Station Park
Asemanpuisto, aka Rautatientori, is a park located in front of the Turku Central Railway Station. Asemanpuisto, together with the Central Railway Station area, belong to the National Board of Antiquities’ nationally significant constructed cultural environments.
In the 19th century the city rented the area to travelling circus troupes, many of which came from Germany. The use of the fairground changed when the railway and the station building were finished in 1876. The front yard of the station was paved in 1893, after which the use for the rest of the area became a hot topic of discussion. Even the City Council considered whether the area should become the kind of park that busy passengers could easily go through to catch their train, or should it become a serene park with meandering paths suitable for leisurely promenades. Finally the City Council agreed to realize a plan by City Gardener Oscar Rudolf Gauff, in which three sides of the park would be planted with rows of trees and the paths would be suitable for quick passage.
The construction of the park began in 1894 and was finished the next year. The paths were made curved, however, and they were straightened in 1940 based on a plan by City Gardener A. Hellemaa. The new station building designed by Martti Wälikangas was finished in 1940.
The park has a statue of Aino, designed by sculptor Matti Haupti and donated to Turku City in 1950, and a basin attached to it.
Surface area: 6,400 m²
Maintenance classification: A1 Representative green area