On the 6 th April 2016 § 55 the Education Committee approved the index based increase to customer fees for day care for children, and the income limits used in the determination of the fees, both applicable from 1st August 2016. Day care fees are still determined according to size of the family, income, and the length of the day spent in day care, as agreed upon in the care agreement.
The maximum fee for full time day care is 290 euros per month, and for the second child from the same family the fee is 261 euros. The day care fee for the following children will remain at 20% of the fee for the youngest child. The minimum chargeable fee is 27 euros.
See the table below for family sizes and corresponding income limits from 1st August 2016. If the size of the family is greater than six, the income limit on which the fee is determined will be increased by 138 euros for each following child in the family.
Size of the family, number of people
Income limit €/month
|Maximum fee %|
Example: A family consists of two adults, and three children who are in full time municipal day-care. The family’s total gross income is 4,000 euros/month.
- According to the table, 2191 euros are deducted from this income: 4000 – 2191 = 1809 euros.
- The fee for the youngest and second child is, according to the table, 7.9% x 1809 euros = 142.91 euros/month
- The fee for the eldest child is 20% of the youngest child’s fee, i.e. 20% x 142.91 euros = 28.58 euros/month.
- The family’s total care fee is 142.91 euros + 142.91 euros + 28.58 euros = 314,40 euros/month.
The decision on day-care fees
If a family’s income has changed since the last fee review, the family should provide the Early Childhood with new income information by e-service
or mail to the following address; Education Department/Early Childhood Education, Day Care Fees, PO box 362, FI-20101 Turku.
Likewise, those families previously paying the highest fees may benefit from providing income information.
- The day care fee calculator has been updated, and the customer fees bulletin will be updated at a later date to reflect the situation from 1st August 2016.
A fee calculator to estimate the day care fee for a child
- More information about fees is available from the Early Childhood day care fee service guidance line, weekdays mon- fr 9.30 – 11.30 am or 3 – 4 pm, tel. +358 (0)2 2625 609.
- Day Care Fees, Financial Support and the Service Voucher