The Hjelt Mansion is the only surviving stone building in Finland whose architecture represents pure Russian empire style.
Sea captain Hjelt bought the plot in the Old Great Square after the fire of 1827 and built on it a beautiful two-storey stone house in 1830. Hjelt’s home was on the upper floor, while the street level rooms were rented to businesses.
The City of Turku bought the Hjelt Mansion in the 1930s, and the building was rented to the police department. After the police department moved away, renovations started on the mansion to prepare it for the use of the Turku Cultural Centre. The renovations were completed in 1991.
Today the mansion houses three offices: