Agreement on Child’s Guardianship, Residence and Visiting Rights

Contact Information

The parents can make an agreement about the guardianship, residence, and visiting rights of the child. A Child Welfare Officer can verify the agreement between parents in case the parents agree with the contents of the agreement and if the agreement is in the best interests of the child.

The parents can agree on:

  • joint custody or single parent custody
  • child’s residence
  • child’s right to visit and contact the parent he/she does not live with

An agreement on guardianship and the child’s residence is always permanent. However, an agreement on visiting rights can be made gradual for different periods of life, or it can be temporary, after which the situation is analyzed again.

If the parents cannot reach an agreement, the matter must be taken to district court to be settled.