Bruno Aspelin: The Turku Cathedral Block in 1756
The bronze town map relief, designed by Bruno Aspelin (1870-1941), called Turun Tuomiokirkon kortteli v. 1756 (The Turku Cathedral Block in 1756) was unveiled in 1930. The sculpture was erected by the G.A. Petrelius donation fund, and it is one of the many monuments in the parks surrounding the Cathedral. The sculpture is also known as “The old cathedral block in 1756”.
This sculpture by Aspelin gives us a glimpse into 18th century Turku. The sculpture depicts the Turku Cathedral and its surroundings, and it stands right there in the park between the Cathedral and Uudenmaankatu. The Turku Cathedral on the Unikankare hill was the town’s heart in the 18th century. Its high tower loomed above the town like a “God’s room” watching over the citizens and public morality.