Ignite Turku competition
Twelve proposals were selected as winners of Ignite Turku competition. We are currently working with winners and other ideas selected for further development. The first implimentations will be seen already this summer. Stay tuned!
Winning ideas to be implemented through partnerships:
- Puistosilta (Park Bridge), Hila Arkkitehdit Oy
- Hyvin voiva Turku (Healthy Turku), Pasi Inkinen
- Turku Stars, Carbon Neutral City Experience for Kids and Youth, Zeamly Oy
- Nuorten kesäyrittäjätori (Summer Entrepreneurship Market Place for Young People), Hilkka Näse
- Mini Turku, Katia Salo
- Tapahtumamatot (Event Rugs), Katia Salo
- Kontiaisten joulukuu (December of Moles), Essi Santala
- Turun Pyörämessut / Turku - Suomen pyöräpääkaupunki (Turku Bicycle Fair / Turku – Finland’s Cycling Capital), Juha Toivonen, Tmi Kekseliäs kettu
- Portti auki Turkuun (Open Gate to Turku), Lundén Architecture Company
- Käveltävämpi keskusta (A More Walkable City Centre), Lujatalo Oy
- Saaristolaivasatama (Archipelago Port), Juho Niemi
- Turun kauppahallikortteli 2026 (Turku’s Market Hall Block 2026), JKMM Arkkitehdit Oy
Ideas and actors selected for the planning of the light event 2021 project:
- Lumina festival of light and wonder, Artturi Elovirta
- Luodaan valoa Turkuun yhdessä (Bringing Light to Turku Together), Kari Kola
- Sytytä Turku -seikkailu – Joukkoistamalla valotaideteokset loistamaan (Sytytä Turku adventure – elevating light installations through crowd-sourcing), Choose Your Future
Events to be promoted with City’s event organisation:
- Esitykset Valtaavat Kadut (Performances Take over the Streets), Sirkussirkus
- Turku kutsuu tanssiin! (Turku Invites You to Dance!), Laura Sillanpää
- Turun Sarjakuvafestivaali 2021 (Turku Comics Festival 2021), Turun Sarjakuvakerho
A good idea will ignite Turku and its residents!
The City of Turku organised the open idea competition Ignite Turku in order to develop the city centre. The purpose of the competition was to find ideas that invigorate the city centre and bring joy to the everyday life of Turku residents. The City of Turku will implement the ideas in collaboration with the makers of the most igniting proposals.
The competition proposals were required to address one or more objectives of the spearhead project of developing the city centre. These include
- an accessible city centre with smooth mobility
- a commercially attractive city centre and
- a pleasant and vivid city centre of encounters.
The competition had two series
The Vivid city centre series was open to any person or group such as a business, an association, a club or a group of residents interested in developing the city centre of Turku. The competition entry for the Vivid city centre series could be any proposal that aims at invigorating the city centre in accordance with the main objectives of the vision for the city centre of Turku.
The City centre under construction series was open to actors specialised in property development or regional development. A proposal submitted for the City centre under construction series could be, for instance, a development concept for a city centre block or area.
In the Vivid city centre series, a total of 20.000 euros worth of incentive awards was allocated for proposals proceeding to the second phase. The final prize of the competition in both series is implementing the idea either in partnership with the City of Turku or with the resources of the contestant.