Europa Nostra – the voice of civil society committed to safeguarding Europe’s cultural and natural heritage
- Leading non-profit heritage organisation in Europe, supported by a wide network of public bodies, private companies and individuals.
- Covers 40 countries in Europe, 5 million members.
- Cooperates with the European Union and together presents The EU Prize for Cultural Heritage / Europa Nostra Awards.
- Campaigns to safeguard Europe’s cultural and natural heritage
- President: Maestro Plácido Domingo
During this high-profile event, Maestro Plácido Domingo, President of Europa Nostra, the leading heritage organisation in Europe, and Tibor Navracsics, European Commissioner for Education, Culture, Youth and Sport, will pay tribute to the winners of the 2017 EU Prize for Cultural Heritage / Europa Nostra Awards, Europe’s top honour in the field.
Another highlight of the Congress programme is the Forum “Sharing Heritage - Citizens Participating in Decision Making” to be held on 13 May at the University of Turku. The Congress will provide an inspiring platform for networking and debating on the latest European developments related to heritage with a special focus on the European Year of Cultural Heritage 2018.
Organised by Europa Nostra and its country representation Europa Nostra Finland, the European Heritage Congress 2017 coincides with the celebration of Finland’s centenary of independence and is held under the patronage of the President of Finland Sauli Niinistö. The Congress is supported by the City of Turku, numerous public and private bodies from Finland and other European countries as well as by the Creative Europe programme of the European Union.