The University of Strathclyde
- The University of Strathclyde is a leading international technological university located in Glasgow, Scotland’s biggest city.
- Their commitment to useful learning guides their research, learning and teaching as well as the way they work with businesses and organizations.
- The Faculty of Engineering at the University of Strathclyde is the biggest in Scotland. It is also one of the largest, best equipped engineering faculties in the UK.
- Significant investments are made for developing the university.
- The university already has over 5 000 engineering students from 100 different countries as well as a portfolio of more than 40 undergraduate, postgraduate and professional development courses.
The Letter of Intent is now being developed into concrete plans during the visit by the managements of the University of Strathclyde and their Faculty of Engineering in Turku on 15–16 February 2018. On the first day of the visit, Thursday 15 February, the City of Turku will host with the lead of Minna Arve a stakeholder meeting, in which the representatives of regional industry can voice their views on how the collaboration can relieve, for its part, the shortage of experts that currently pesters the area.
The City of Turku regards expanding the international cooperation in higher education in Turku as essential
If we wish to compete against the best in the world, we must have world-class excellence behind us, both today and tomorrow
– Excellence is the critical element for the competitive capacity of companies, Turku, and the whole of Finland. In Southwest Finland, we have several global companies, even world’s leading within their own segments, and their products and services are tested on a daily basis in the hardest international competition. If we wish to compete against the best in the world, we must have world-class excellence behind us, both today and tomorrow, says Mayor Minna Arve.
The city wants to create the best possible, top-quality operational environment for its companies. As for the cooperation within higher education, this means ensuring a good availability of competent workforce for companies as well as the access to the sources of research, product development and latest knowledge.
– The wider the range of world-class expertise and education for future talents Turku has to offer to companies, the more it will benefit the economic life in the whole region, Arve states.