The workshop at WAM is available from 6 pm onwards, the museum disco will open at 9 pm.
On the Night of the Arts on Thursday 16 August WAM offers guided tours for the exhibitions, with a museum disco as the culmination of the night. There is contemporary dance at the Pharmacy Museum and a concert by a string quartet at Hansa. At the main library, you can make book finds and enjoy jazz. The City Theatre will have an open house.
Night of the Arts in Turku 16 August 2018
Taiteilijattaret at the Pharmacy Museum and Qwensel House from 3 to 6 pm
During the day, you can see excerpts from a community art contemporary dance piece at the Pharmacy Museum. Taiteilijattaret – oodeja näkymättömille naisille is inspired by female artists of the 20th century.
The Pharmacy Museum and the Qwensel House, Läntinen Rantakatu 13b.
70s pop art and a museum disco at WAM
The Wäinö Aaltonen Museum of Art will celebrate the Night of the Arts with flowery prints and pop music inspired by 70s pop art by Simo Helenius until 11 pm. The museum offers guided tours of exhibitions, community art workshops, a colourful pin workshop and a travelling polaroid photobooth. The night will culminate in a museum disco.
- Workshop from 6 to 10 pm
- Guided tours in Finnish at 6, 6:30, 7, 7:30, 8 and 8:30 pm, in Swedish at 7:15 pm
- Museum disco from 9 pm onwards
- Cafe Wäinö open until 11 pm
Tickets €9/€4. Entrance at half price after 6 pm.
Wäinö Aaltonen Museum of Art, Itäinen Rantakatu 38.
Galleries of the Old Great Square and the Turku Artoteque open until 10 pm
At the Old Great Square, you can visit the exhibitions at the galleries and have a look at what the Artoteque has to offer.
- Gallery Grey / Emilia Ukkonen Nedin tarina (in Finnish)
- Old Town Hall Gallery / Lotta Hänninen Camouflage (in Finnish)
- Brinkkala Gallery / Shipwreck Information Centre (in Finnish)
The galleries and the Turku Artoteque are open during the Night of the Arts from 10 am to 10 pm. Free admission. Vanha Suurtori 3–5.
The Main Library offers music, lectures and a used book sale
The used book sale takes over the library’s yard already in the afternoon. In the Studio, Päivi Lipponen will talk about her novel Ihmisyyden vuoksi. In the evening, the air at the library will be filled with jazz.
- 4–7 pm, Library yard: Used book sale
- 5–7 pm, Library yard: Song lyrics workshop (will be moved to the music section if it rains)
- 5–7 pm Librarians will ride the library bicycles along the banks of the Aura River and offer tips for books to read.
- 5–6 pm, Studio: PhD Päivi Lipponen talks about her novel Ihmisyyden vuoksi.
- 6–6:40 pm, Saga: Täti Moonika ja pingviiniorkesteri
- 7–7:45 pm, The Main Library’s lobby: Jusu & friends: jazz on an August evening
Turku Main Library is open during the Night of the Arts from 9 am to 8 pm. Linnankatu 2.
Classical at Hansa
A string quartet made of musicians from the Turku Philharmonic Orchestra performs two concerts at Hansatori as a part of Hansa’s programme for the Night of the Arts. The concerts are at 5:30 and 7:30 pm.
The concerts planned by concertmaster Juha-Pekka Vikman offer a fantastic selection of light classical music and familiar tunes.
Open house at Turku City Theatre
The City Theatre has an open house on 16 August from 5 to 9 pm. The programme includes the open rehearsal of the Varissuo musical, a small second-hand sale event and discussion about the autumn’s drama Ihmiset, paikat ja esineet, among other things. The foyer and Lippis cafés and restaurant Kivi are open.
The evening’s programme at the theatre:
- 5 pm, A new life for treasures / Lobby: A second-hand sale event of the theatre’s wardrobe department.
- 5:20 pm, A voice for the audience / Lobby stage: Presenting the theatre’s home critic activities.
- 5:30–6 pm, Drama and addictions / Lobby stage: A discussion on the autumn’s drama Ihmiset, paikat ja esineet. Director Johanna Freundlich and lead actress Pihla Maalismaa will talk about the play.
- 6:15–6:45 pm, Open rehearsal of the Varissuo musical / Main stage: The audience gets to see the musical’s rehearsal directed by Mikko Kouki. Free tickets to the rehearsal will be available at Lippis on Monday 13 August at 12 noon. Max. 4 tickets per person.
- 5–9 pm, Ticket discounts / Lippis
Turku City Theatre, Itäinen Rantakatu 14. Lippis open from 12 noon to 9 pm.
- teatteri.turku.fi (in Finnish)
The Night of the Arts for Families offers children’s music, visual arts and activity points
The Night of the Arts for Families is celebrated at Vartiovuori from 5 to 8 pm with an Arts Wonderland theme. The free-of-charge picnic event for families with children offers art and culture experiences from animal theatre to a hobby horse track, from nursery rhymes to making art. At the event, you may use equipment from the Sports Wonderland for Kids and sumo wrestling equipment from Nuokkaribiili.
- The Night of the Arts for Families (in Finnish)