What to do if you suspect having contracted the coronavirus? Who is at high risk? How do I get a COVID-19 passport? (Updated 16.11.2022.)


Coronavirus and health service

What if I suspect having contracted the coronavirus?

If you have symptoms matching coronavirus, complete a COVID-19 symptom check-up using the Omaolo service (What to do if you suspect having caught the coronavirus infection) or contact one the following by phone: 

  • ​the coronavirus helpline of the City of Turku, tel. +358 2 266 2714: The helpline is open daily 8:00-15:00 until 12 June. From 13 June helpline serves from Mon to Thu 8:00–15:00 and Fri 8:00–13:00. 
  • occupational health care
  • Joint emergency services of the Turku region, tel. +358 2 313 8800
  • Medical Helpline (during weekends), tel. 116 117

The health care professionals will interview you, evaluate the situation and give further instructions over the phone.

If you are suspected to have coronavirus, a health care professional provides you with instructions related to testing. Health stations use a test that involves inserting a swab into the cavity between the nose and mouth. So far, there are no antibody tests available.

The Omaolo service offers a a COVID-19 symptom check-up. Through the service, you can quickly get reliable information on your situation and you will be guided directly to the correct professional, if needed.

For Turku residents who have completed the symptoms assessment online, a time slot will automatically be booked online for coronavirus testing. You can now also book a testing time trough Omaolo even on weekends. It is also possible to complete the symptom assessment on behalf of a child aged under 15.

  • Read more: Coronavirus testing times can now be booked through Omaolo
  • People aged under 15: When the symptom assessment has been completed, the Omaolo service provides instructions on how to proceed. Data of children cannot be sent through the Omaolo service for professionals to assess. If Omaolo recommends a child under 15 years of age to get tested or to go to emergency services, please call the coronavirus helpline tel. +358 2 266 2714. People aged over 10 but under 18 will be notified about their coronavirus test results by contacting the number they have indicated in the patient information system.
  • The Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare: Instructions for citizens on coronavirus

Where can I find information about vaccinations?

All info about vaccinations and how to book your time can be found at Coronavirus Vaccinations in Turku

Where can I get tested for coronavirus and how much does it cost?

You do not need to contact health care services or get tested for coronavirus if your symptoms are mild and you are not in at-risk groups because of your health or profession.

Coronavirus testing at health care services is recommended in case of symptoms of respiratory tract infection especially for the following groups:

  • social welfare and health care patients/personnel working with clients
  • for all of those working in any position in the 24-hour care and disability service
  • persons with a severe underlying illness or condition related to its treatment, for example, medication that weakens the immune system
  • pregnant persons, read more: Risk groups for severe coronavirus disease (THL)
  • unvaccinated persons over the age of 60

Corona tests performed in healthcare are also recommended in situations where the test result has legal significance.

The testing recommendation applies to unvaccinated and vaccinated individuals. As a rule, there is no need for a new test after 3 months of COVID-19-infection.

Instructions for home testing can be found on the website of the Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare (THL): Coronavirus home tests
How to take a home test (in finnish, THL)
Read more: What to do if you suspect having caught the coronavirus infection

How does the unit for patients with respiratory infecious diseases at Mäntymäki health care station work? 

You need to book an appointment by calling the coronavirus helpline, tel. +358 2 266 2714 (Monday to Friday from 8 am to 3 pm). Patients with respiratory symptoms are examined and treated at this unit and their need for hospital care is assessed.

Who can get the antiviral medication Paxlovid?

Paxlovid is given only to target groups set on a national level (PDF, in Finnish). The medicine is free of charge for patients, with a doctor deciding if drug treatment is warranted. Drug treatment is started as quickly as possible after the onset of coronavirus symptoms.

Drug treatment may begin based on a positive result of a home test, and in such a case, a PCR test is taken when the medicine is picked up.

The target groups for drug treatment differ from the general risk groups for COVID-19 infection.

Further reading: New anti-coronavirus drug Paxlovid available only to specific target groups

Can I go to the dentist if I have respiratory infection symptoms and a tooth ache?

Patients with symptoms of respiratory tract infection (such as cough, sore throat, myalgia or fever) are treated only in urgent cases. Oral health care will send the customer a text message if the appointment is cancelled.

  • Booking oral health care appointments, tel. +358 2 266 0644

Where will I go during the weekend if I need a doctor for something other than symptoms of respiratory infection?

You can call the joint emergency services of the Turku region, Tyks Acute, tel. 02 313 8800, or call the Medical Helpline at 116117.

  • test your symptoms at Omaolo to check your need for care


COVID-19 passport

Read more: COVID-19 passport (turku.fi)

How do I get a COVID-19 passport?

The EU COVID-19 vaccination certificate has been introduced as a COVID-19 passport in Finland since 16 October 2021. The COVID-19 passport is an EU COVID-19 certificate, which can be obtained from My Kanta

You can download the COVID-19 passport to your mobile phone or, for example, take a screenshot and save it.
Instructions for downloading the COVID-19 certificate from Omakanta
If for any reason the passport is not formed correctly, contact the health care e-Services (in finnish).

For more information and instructions on how to print your passport: COVID-19 passport (turku.fi)

News about the EU COVID-19 certificate and COVID-19 passport (kanta.fi)

Where do schoolchildren get a COVID-19 passport?

Read more: COVID-19 passport (turku.fi)

How do I get a COVID-19 passport if I've been vaccinated abroad?

If you have received both vaccines or the latest vaccine abroad, you can obtain a vaccination certificate under certain conditions in accordance with the instructions of the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health.
In this case, get in contact with the COVID-19 passport point read the instructions link:

 COVID-19 passport (turku.fi)

How do I get a certificate of a COVID-19 infection?

A certificate of a COVID-19 infection can also be obtained from the My Kanta service within six months of the date of infection. If you cannot access the My Kanta service or you do not have a Finnish personal identity code, you can receive a certificate of a contracted COVID-19 from the COVID-19 passport service point, read the instructions link:

COVID-19 passport (turku.fi)


High-risk groups and quarantine

Who is at high risk?

The Finnish Institute of Health and Welfare: high-risk groups

Who makes decisions on quarantine and isolation?

Read more: Quarantine and isolation (THL)

Decisions on quarantine are made by a chief physician for infectious diseases in the municipality. Quarantine refers to limiting the freedom of movement of a healthy person. Some of infectious diseases can be transmitted even before any actual symptoms occur. The quarantine helps prevent the potential symptom-free carrier from infecting others. Isolation refers to isolating a person with coronavirus at their home during the period when they might infect others.

Quarantine practices to change for people who have been vaccinated or have contracted COVID-19

On 18 May, the Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare has amended its guidelines on quarantine practices for those who have been vaccinated or have contracted COVID-19. In the future, a person exposed to the coronavirus will not be quarantined in the following cases:

  • The person has received both doses and at least one week has passed since the second dose
  • The person has received the first dose within 6 months of being diagnosed with the coronavirus infection and at least one week has passed since the vaccination
  • The person has a doctor’s certificate for a coronavirus infection diagnosed less than 6 months ago.

Your infectious disease doctor may decide otherwise in the assessment, and factors that may affect the effectiveness of the vaccine must be taken into account. The factors include the local mutant strain situation, age and underlying health conditions. The amended quarantine guidelines also apply to social and health care professionals.

Can you go outside or to the grocery store during quarantine?

The person in quarantine must avoid close contact with people outside the family. Going outside is allowed when not getting close to other people. For example, going to work, school, day care, hobbies or grocery store is not allowed because it is difficult to avoid close contact in these places.

Can quarantine always take place at home?

Quarantine can usually take place at home. However, if there are people over 70 years of age or people with underlying conditions living in your home, special arrangements may be considered. This is because the person in quarantine may fall ill and pass the disease on to others before accessing treatment. The illness caused by coronavirus may be serious for elderly people and people with underlying conditions.

Are there premises for quarantine in Turku?

Quarantine prescribed by a physician responsible for infectious diseases can be used to prevent COVID-19 infections, especially in social and health care facilities. The person quarantined will receive instructions during the quarantine.

What does self-isolation mean?

If you arrive in Finland from a country that is red or gray in the traffic light model, self-isolating for 14 days is recommended. Self-isolation is recommended even if you return to Finland through a country categorized as green.

The Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare is updating the guidance on their website for travellers and employees arriving in Finland. The guidance also includes clear instructions for self-isolation:

Can I visit wards of Turku City Hospital without limitations?

Guidance has been provided to visitors to reduce the risk of COVID-19 infections in hospitalized patients.


Teaching and day-care

The autumn term begins in contact teaching on August 10th.


City of Turku services and events

How does coronavirus affect services and events in the City of Turku?

Read more: Recommendations and Restrictions Related to Coronavirus in Turku

What should be taken into consideration when working with customers?

The Finnish Institute for Occupational Health provides guidance for employees who work in the service industry during the coronavirus situation. These guidelines can be applied in customer work with close contacts, e.g. at hairdressers, in restaurants and shops, in property servicing and guarding.

Where can I ask about serving and selling foods?

Please contact the City of Turku Environmental Health for information.

How do I return or change theater tickets?

All customers who have purchased tickets to canceled shows will be contacted. Tickets can be exchanged into gift cards, autumn shows or customers will be able to get a refund.  The theater has to be notified of ticket chances or refund requests by May 29.

Is the Turku Market Square open?

Read more: Sales Points and Opening Hours


Restrictions of movement

Are local buses operating?

More information can be found on the Föli website

Can I travel abroad?