Altogether 127 proposals from both Finland and abroad were submitted for the competition concerning this unique area surrounding the Turku Castle. The total number of proposals makes the competition one of the most popular Finnish regional planning projects of all time.
Announcement of the prize-winning and purchased entries as well as honourable mentions will take place on Thursday 29 October 2020 at 10 am EEWT (GMT+2).
Live stream link for the event is www.turku.fi/linnanniemi-stream.
- Opening remarks / Minna Arve, Mayor, City of Turku
- Premises and objectives of the competition / Timo Hintsanen, Director of Urban Planning, City of Turku, Architect SAFA
- Introduction of the competition entries / Elina Ahdeoja, Architect SAFA, Staffan Lodenius, Architect SAFA and Jouni Heinänen, Landscape Architect MARK
- Announcement of the prize-winning and purchased competition entries and honourable mentions
- Speech from the first prize winner
- Closing remarks / Mari Koskinen, Competition Specialist, Architect SAFA, and Timo Hintsanen, Director of Urban Planning
The competition area of Linnanniemi is situated in a unique location at the converging point of the city centre, history, the river and the sea. The purpose of the competition was to identify feasible and versatile development options for the area, taking the historical and landscape value of Turku Castle, the maritime nature of the area and the area’s significance to tourism into account, and obtain a comprehensive overall idea that can be used as a basis for land use planning. The competition will kick off the development of the Linnanniemi area as a large and strategic project in a way that interests external investors.
The international competition was open to all between 9 January and 28 May 2020. The competition was organised by the City of Turku in collaboration with the Finnish Association of Architects (SAFA) and the Finnish Association of Landscape Architects (MARK).
Additional information: www.turku.fi/en/linnanniemi.