If you arrive to Finland from Ukraine, you are allowed to stay for 90 days without a visa, apply for temporary protection or asylum. At the moment, it is best to apply for temporary protection. (Updated October 7th.)

When you apply for temporary protection, you can arrange your accommodation yourself or alternatively live in a reception center.

After applying for temporary protection, the reception center will arrange you: 

  • Health care services 
  • Social services
  • Reception allowance if you do not have your own income or funds 
  • Information, guidance and advices on various everyday matters 

Once you have received a residence permit on the basis of temporary protection you can work and study without any restrictions. Your child has the right to maternity, child health care services, and education (preschool and school).

If you arrive to Turku from Ukraine and want to apply for temporary protection, follow these steps:  

Contact the Foreign Investigation Unit of the Southwest Finland Police Department:  

Raisio Police Station
Nallikatu 8, Raisio 
Telephone number +358 295 444 818 
Weekdays 8–16

The police will give you guidance on how to act. 

You can also apply for asylum in Finland. The police will also instruct you on how to apply for asylum. Please note that the asylum application process takes considerably longer than temporary protection application. 

You can also stay in Finland for 3 visa-free months if you have a biometric passport. In this case you are responsible for your accommodation and livelihood. If you are staying in the country with a 90-day right of residence and you do not want to apply for temporary protection, you have the right to: 

  • receive essential and acute care (chargeable) 
  • social assistance for food and prescription medicines with a commitment from the Social Insurance Institution of Finland (KELA) 
  • one-time crisis accommodation

Private accommodation

If you are staying in private accommodation, for example with relatives, a spouse or acquaintances, and you are registered as an asylum seeker with the police, you will be directed to the Private Accommodation Unit of the Finnish Red Cross Varsinais-Suomi (Proper Finland) District.  
The police informs the Private Accommodation Unit of all asylum seekers staying in private accommodation, and the unit then contacts the asylum seeker. The Private Accommodation Unit will provide you with the reception services you are entitled to, such as urgent and necessary health care and, if you are eligible, a reception allowance. 

No financial support is provided for the costs of private accommodation. The Private Accommodation Unit of the Finnish Red Cross Varsinais-Suomi (Proper Finland) district does not offer help in finding accommodations.

Services offered by City of Turku

Eligibility for municipal services is determined by a person's residence status. All residents of the municipality are entitled to the necessary social and health services regardless of their residence status. 

  • Social services (until you are admitted to reception services):
    Turku Social Services
    telephone number +3582 262 6003
    24 h every day.
    Accommodation, food and clothing assistance, financial support and crisis and discussion support.
    Service in English. 
  • Health services:
    Health care helpline
    phone number +3582 313 8800
    24 h every day.
    Service in English.

Urgent emergency – call phone number 112

Emergency or urgently need assistance from the authorities: police, emergency medical services, rescue, social services.

Are the city services available in Ukrainian in Turku? 

Advice and guidance services in Ukrainian language are offered in Monitori by the Market Square as a part of International House Turku activities. Services are available in Ukrainian without booking an appointment on Monday and Wednesday 9-16, Thursday 10-16. On Friday services are available by calling the number 0405130322 9-15.

A Ukrainian interpreter can be used to help with official business. 

More information on services for immigrants: Immigrants (in English)

Day care and school

Enroll a child aged 3 to 5 at playground activities or playschool

Children aged from 3 to 5 from families arriving in Ukraine can report to the playground activities or playschool. You can get advice from the Early Childhood Education Service Mon – Tue and Thu – Fri from 9 am to 3 pm and on Wednesdays from 9 am to 12 pm by phone: 02 262 5610 or by e-mail: varhaiskasvatus@turku.fi.

Early childhood education service guidance in Kauppatori's Monitor is open Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri 9–15.30 and Wednesdays 9–12. Address: Aurakatu 8, 20100 Turku.

Enroll a 6-year -old child in preschool

Children with an immigrant background participate in preschool education in connection with a nearest day care center or school’s pre-school groups. In connection with pre-school education, preparatory study for preschool education is also organized for those children whose language skills or other abilities are not sufficient for group study.

You can get advice from the Early Childhood Education Service Mon – Tue and Thu – Fri from 9 am to 3 pm and on Wednesdays from 9 am to 12 pm by phone: 02 262 5610 or Anu Oksanen, Regional Manager anu.oksanen@turku.fi  

Enroll a child between the ages of 7 to 16 to school

Children aged 7–16 who have moved to Turku from abroad first participate in preparatory education, i.e., VALMO. Preparatory education supports integration into Finland and provides the ability to move on to basic education once a child has learned developing primary language skills.

Fill in the registration form and send it to pia.hiltunen@edu.turku.fi

For more information pia.hiltunen@turku.fi and annika.rae@turku.fi

Basic education for adults over 17 years of age

Young people over the age of 17 who have moved to Turku from abroad can participate in basic adult education. Teaching supports integration into Finland and provides the necessary additional education skills.

For advice contact study supervisor kaisu-leena.nikkanen@turku.fi

Necessities free of charge at the Aid Station

Material Aid Station is no longer operating in Turku. Raisio's Assistance Center continues to distribute material aid. Donations can also be taken to them.

Raisio's Assistance Center, Raisiontori 6
Mon - Tue 10 am - 3 pm
Wed closed
Thu - Fri 10 am - 3 pm
Sat 12 noon - 3 pm
Contact person: Maarit Kokkonen, maarit.kokkonen@raisio.fi, tel. 040 482 4657

Public transport

A valid Ukrainian passport can be used for travel on public transport in the Turku region from Wednesday, 9 March through 30 April. A passenger showing a Ukrainian passport will not need any other ticket. A certificate issued by police, a border inspection official, or the Finnish Immigration Service (Migri) of taking possession of the passport is also valid for transport. The certificate has an official stamp and a picture of a copy of the passport.