The equipment that is needed are fuel-powered generators, industrial fan heaters, other heaters and food preparation equipment suitable for serving large crowds. The collection will also accept water pumps.The collection point is located at Kaurakatu 41 in Peltola, Turku.
All of us can also help Ukraine and the Ukrainians by donating money through international collections. You can find more information about this at the end of this article.
This particular collection to Kharkiv will only accept heating equipment, food preparation equipment and water pumps, as these supplies are most urgently needed at the moment. We ask that donators pre-pack their donations for transportation before delivering them to the collection point and have the contents listed on top of the packages.
The City of Turku will also use EUR 30,000 to buy products for the collection from the city’s tendered supplier, Etra Oy.
Ukraine currently has a very real need for aid. With your support, Christmas can come to Ukraine.
Donations will be received as follows:
- Time: Wednesday 7 December – Friday 9 December 2022, 14–19 and Saturday 10 December 2022, 10–17
- Location: Kaurakatu 41, Peltola, Turku
- Please report your donations in advance to: Päiviliisa Suonpää, Planning Officer for International Affairs, email@example.com
Donated equipment must be in working order. The collection only accepts large electricity production and heating equipment:
- fuel-powered generators
- industrial fan heaters
- other heaters
- food preparation equipment suitable for serving large crowds
- water pumps
The collection is part of the twin city activities between Turku and Kharkiv
In August, the cities of Turku and Kharkiv signed a twin city agreement, aiming for assistance activities and for mutually beneficial long-term cooperation in urban development.
– With the arrival of winter, Ukraine and Kharkiv face an acute situation in terms of heating and water supply. The City of Turku wants to give a tangible expression of friendship to Kharkiv and Ukraine and to provide material assistance to the people of Kharkiv before Christmas. We will also contribute to the reconstruction of Ukraine and Kharkiv by offering our expertise in things like urban planning and sustainable development solutions. Our partners in those efforts include our international urban networks, such as the Eurocities network, says Mayor of Turku, Minna Arve.
Transportation from Turku to Kharkiv will be carried out in cooperation with the Ukrainians of Finland organization. Partners in Turku also include Turku Vacational Institute, the Turku Chamber of Commerce and Turun Yrittäjät ry.
Turku's aid campaign for Kharkiv is also part of the campaign "Generators of Hope" that is organised by the Eurocities network in order to help Ukraine and the Ukrainian people: https://eurocities.eu/latest/generators-of-hope-city-to-city-relief-for-ukraine/.
The news article continues after the image gallery.
People can help by donating money to aid the Ukrainians
Anyone in Finland can help Ukraine and Ukrainians by donating money through collections. Money can be donated through these organisations, among others: Finnish Red Cross, UNICEF, Save the Children, SOS Children’s Villages, Plan International, UN Women, Finn Church Aid, World Vision and Fida. You can find links to these organizations’ pages here: www.turku.fi/en/ukraine
– Ukraine currently has a very real need for aid. With your support, Christmas can come to Ukraine, says Olena Herasymenko, President of Ukrainians of Finland.
Goods and clothing for Ukrainians can also be donated to the Raisio Aid Station, maintained by Ukrainians of Finland, address Raisiontori 6, opening hours Mon–Tue 10–15, Wed closed, Thu–Fri 10–15, Sat 12–15.
Watch a current video from Kharkiv where the city is rebuilding itself