Ruissalo estate. Image: Turku Museum Centre /Sanna Kupila
The buildings belonging to the Ruissalo estate – residential buildings and outhouses near Kansanpuisto – used to be the centre of the island until the 1840's. The main building was rebuilt in 1901, as the old main building dating back to the 1720's had burnt in a fire two years earlier. Also the outhouses were built after the fire. The garden of the estate, established in 1754, included fruit trees and plants used in the kitchen.
Nowadays, the fields of the Ruissalo estate are home to several rare and even endangered species.