First Steps

Are you interested in studying in Turku? Below you can find a checklist to assist you in getting started with.

1) Study options in Turku

What are your study interests? Which particular degree programme(s) you wish to apply to?

2) Entry requirements and application timetables

Details like entry requirements and application period are always degree programme specific. The same goes for the documentation you need to send in. Note that you may also need to partake in an entrance examination.

3) Tuition fees and scholarships

Citizens of a country outside the European Union (EU) and the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland will be charged tuition fees, in Bachelor and Master degree programmes taught in English. Institutes of higher education may offer scholarships to international degree students. They may cover the tuition fee in full or in part, or as refunds based on your academic performance. You apply for a scholarship from the university/UAS, usually at the same time as you apply for admission.

General information on tuition fees and scholarships in Finland:

4) Student visa/residence permit and insurance

The next vital step is to check if you need to apply for a visa in case one is required for you to arrive and/or live in Finland. Please note that the application process takes time, and therefore the process should commence immediately after confirming your study place. Non-EU/ETA citizens are also required to have a valid health insurance in order to arrive in Finland.

5) Housing

Now that you have secured all the necessary permits, documents and insurance it’s time to look for an apartment. Universities in Finland do not offer accommodations for students. Instead, student housing is offered by different organizations or the municipality you will live in.

Read more: Student housing |

6) ID card/code, municipality of residence

After moving to Finland for your studies, you will need to register yourself into the Population Information System in order to get an ID card or an ID code. You will need those in a variety of situations in Finnish everyday life such as using health care services, opening a bank account and getting a library card. To be registered with a municipality of residence, you need to visit your local register office.

Read more about registration: Moving to Turku - InfoFinland