Support for immigrants’ job search and entrepreneurship
The job search of a Turku citizen starts from registering as an unemployed job seeker. One may register as a job seeker on the internet on:
- Te-palvelut > Oma asiointi (in Finnish)
One may also register in person at either Työpiste at the City of Turku or the Southwest Finland TE Office.
- Advice in your own language, including the following: Arabic, Armenian, Baha, Bosnian, Dari, English, Farsi, Indonesian, Korean, Kurdish, Persian, Russian Somali and Thai.
- Support in the different phases of your job search, such as help with identifying your individual work skills or help with finding a job.
- Our new ‘Kielikuntosali’, or ‘Language Gym’, is a space where you can improve your Finnish skills either individually or with an adviser – or even with a robot.
- Guidance with studies, such as choosing the right study path or enhancing your study skills.
- Benefit from our wide knowledge of official local employment, schooling, and integration services.
- Knowledge of the rules of Finnish working life, as well as support in your first steps into working life.
- New and developing services to help employee integration.
- Social advisor
- Help with legal questions
- Help with starting a new business
Unemployment Services at Työpiste in the City Centre
Työpiste at the City of Turku counsels and helps with employment, getting into additional education, and developing working life skills. Työpiste serves unemployed Turku citizens under the age of 25 who have been unemployed for over a year.
It is possible to practice the skills needed in working life at the Employment Centre of Työpiste, for example. The Employment Centre also provides unemployed citizens with work trials and subsidized job placements in various industries.
- Employment Centre (in Finnish)
Unemployed citizens over the age of 25 who have been unemployed for under a year are served by the Southwest Finland TE Office.
- Southwest Finland TE Office (in Finnish), Itsenäisyydenaukio 2, Turku
Integration services for new immigrants
The initial assessment and integration plan for integrating immigrants who are under 25 years old or have been unemployed for over a year are made at Työpiste at the City of Turku. After that, Työpiste will counsel and help with employment, getting into additional education, and developing working life skills.
One-Stop Guidance Center (Ohjaamo) – personal support for young people
Young people of under 30 years may seek for personal advice and guidance regarding employment issues at the One-Stop Guidance Center Turku. At the same address is located the information and guidance point Nuorten Turku where young people can get guidance also for other areas of their life.
- Ohjaamo, Yliopistonkatu 25A, Turku
Business advice and funding
It is also possible to become employed by one’s own business. Free of charge guidance for starting a business is available at the Turku region Business Service Centre Potkuri.
At Potkuri, starting entrepreneurs can apply for enterprise allowance in order to secure their income. The Southwest Finland TE Office processes the applications, and the business consultants at Potkuri will write the statement needed for the application.
Potkuri also organizes starting info sessions for starting entrepreneurs. The sessions offer essential information regarding starting a business.