- Base map and boundaries of the competition area (zip: dwg and pdf)
- Orthophoto and boundaries of the competition area (zip: jpg and pdf)
- Oblique aerial photo for aerial rendering (zip: jpeg and tif)
- Simple 3D soil and construction model of the area (skp)
- Aerial photos and other photos (media bank)
- Tramway plan for the port area (pdf, in Finnish)
- Instructions for downloading more extensive 3D materials from the City website (pdf)
- 360 degree video of the area and video of the port area
New material after the competition seminar:
- Layouts of Tallink Silja terminal (zip, added 12.2.2020)
- Traffic area of the joint terminal / Draft (pdf, added 12.2.2020)
- 3D materials from wider area (zip: dwg, added 12.2.2020)
- Orthophoto without boundaries (jpg, added 12.2.2020 also in media bank)
- 3D Sketchup (zip, added 16.3.2020)
- Layouts of Viking Line terminal (zip, added 16.3.2020)
In addition to the actual competition materials, more maps are freely available on the City’s map pages at opaskartta.turku.fi/IMS/en/Map. These include the downloadable 3D materials referred to above, a guide map, a terrain map, an up-to-date local detailed plan, public transport routes, pedestrian and bicycle lanes and other map data.
- The tramway plans
- Turku Castle
- Forum Marinum / The locations of the wharfs and museum ships
- Archipelago Access
- Turku National Urban Park
- Competition period 9.1.-28.5.2020. (updated 24.3.2020)
- The questions must be submitted by 3.3.2020 on web form. > Questions and answers
- Please note: The competition period has been extended. The competition period will end on 28.5.2020 at 4 pm GMT+3. All competition entries must be submitted electronically by using this submission form.
- The competition’s results will be published in September 2020 (estimation).
Competition Secretary Paula Markkula, architect SAFA,
+358 (0)40 539 0625, email@example.com
The competition period has ended. We thank all participants for your effort!
The entries submitted for the competition are on display on the Kerro kantasi (Voice your opinion) where they coud be commented on between 25 June and 5 August 2020. Some of them will also be presented in an exhibition organised in the autumn.
For more information see the press material: "Linnanniemi - Maritime Hub of the City of Turku" (pdf)
Information on the international idea competition for the Linnanniemi area of Turku
We held an international idea competition between the 9th of January and the 28th of May 2020. The competition was organised for the area comprising Turku Castle, its surroundings and the western bank of the mouth of the Aura River in order to find a comprehensive overall idea as well as versatile development options for this historically and culturally important area.
The cape surrounding Turku Castle has always been a gateway to Turku and Finland. Many new things and ideas have arrived in Finland through it, gaining a foothold here and settling down to stay. And vice versa, as many a person has taken the same route from Turku to the archipelago and gone out to the world with their ideas.
For over 700 years, the castle has guarded this gate, monitoring those arriving in and departing from Turku. The new plans will provide the imposing castle with a surrounding area befitting its value.
The unique history and the maritime nature of Linnanniemi area are important features in the construction and planning of urban public spaces. The future area of Linnanniemi will be a centre of year-round urban culture where you can simultaneously experience the history, the sea and the most beautiful archipelago in the world.
The competition is organised by the City of Turku in collaboration with the Finnish Association of Architects (SAFA) and the Finnish association of Landscape Architects (MARK).
Questions and answers
The questions concerning the competition were asked to be submitted on web form by the 3rd of March 2020.
The questions and their answers have been gathered on the following web page:
An open seminar was organised on the 22nd of January 2020 for those who are interested in the competition.
We have added new appendices to the competition programme documents (Appendices 10–15) after holding the competition seminar for the Linnanniemi area. Seminar presentations as well as questions from the audience and their answers have been gathered on the following web page:
After the seminar it was possible to participate in a guided tour in the competition area. The competition area is also presented below and at Citynomadi (www.turku.fi/linnanniemi-area), or you can download a free Nomadi app to view the Linnanniemi area on your phone.